JAN Success Story: Mr. Daniel Ukasoanya

Mr. Daniel Ukasoanya

Age: 22

Venture In Management Programme (ViMP) 2015 Participant


My name is Daniel Ukasoanya, I am 22 years old and the third child in a family of six. I am originally from Abia State, but having lived in Ten Nigerian Cities, I believe my background is a lot more diverse culturally. I graduated from University of Nigeria Nsukka Secondary School, Nsukka, with a penchant for mechanical engineering, I pursued a B.Eng. Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering at Covenant University, where I graduated in 2014, placing 4th (fourth) in my department. In September 2014, I was nominated as a “Highly Commended Entrant” by the Undergraduate Awards Ireland, for outstanding undergraduate research. My undergraduate final year project which explored energy-savings ability of nanofluids in domestic refrigerators, was nominated in the top 10% of over 4792 submissions globally, and was one of only two African submissions to be nominated. Since completing the project, I have developed an interest in the field of Sustainable Energy Development. I am interested in exploring the use of renewable energy as an alternative to conventional energy forms in today’s industrial climate. I have also become keen on understanding which policies are being enforced to regulate technological systems that impact the environment and climate negatively. This need for enlightenment informed my decision to apply for the MSc in New and Renewable Energy at Durham University, United Kingdom, and I will be attending Durham as a 2015/2016 awardee of the British Chevening Scholarships.

When did you become affiliated with JAN and the ViMP (Venture in Management Programme)?

I first heard about JAN through ViMP 2013 Alumni, Izunna Umezinne, and I applied for ViMP 2015 after reading about the numerous benefits and opportunities available via that platform. I was interviewed in February and shortlisted as one of the top 50 candidates to be sponsored for the 2015 program by JAN, in conjunction with African Capital Alliance (ACA).

What did you gain and learned while affiliated with JAN?

By attending the (ViMP), I was able to develop a better understanding of core issues in business. Through such courses as Ethics in Business, and Product & Service Innovation, I was enlightened on the importance of adopting a fair approach in business, whilst prioritizing the needs of customers and consumers. Furthermore, through diverse case studies reviewed in the course of the program, I understood the intricacies of vital, but unfamiliar concepts in finance and business, and developed an astute sense of decision making through the evaluating the “Tade Oyinola” case. All these blended towards an all-round development of my knowledge and skills, and contributed towards my personal development for my leadership role in future. I also found the knowledge gained from the “CV Writing and Interview skills” session to be very invaluable during my Interview with the British Chevening Scholarship Board in March 2015.

Did the people you met while with JAN support your ambitions?

In the course of the ViMP program, I was privileged to meet highly dynamic candidates from diverse academic backgrounds, as well as lecturers with astute understanding of their specific fields. Nonetheless, by exploiting the numerous platforms provided for interactions with both members of the Lagos Business School Community and top management of JAN, I was able to identify a few persons with whom I shared my short-term goals and who in turn provided some support towards attainment of these goals. Mrs. Efua Edeh, the Executive Director; and Mr. Adegbola Abiodun, Program Coordinator, Western Region, who I approached in the course of the Cocktail arranged for graduating participants on the last day of the program were very supportive. I spoke with Mrs. Efua for about 15 minutes and the result of our discussion during that brief period resulted in some financial support that went towards the finalization of my application for a Chevening Scholarship. I also had the privilege of meeting Mr. Fela Durotoye, one of my highly esteemed mentors in matters of leadership and community development.

What are your future goals?

My long-term aspiration is to work as a strategy consultant in the Sustainable Energy, and optimizing energy projects which would go towards enhancing the quality of life in Nigerian Communities. On completion of my Master’s program at Durham University, I intend to join the Energy & Utilities division of a sustainability-focused firm, which drives the Research and Innovation to create technology solutions. I see myself as a senior researcher and team leader within the Nigerian Ministry of Science and Technology, seeking ways to improve and optimize energy related projects in Nigeria.

How JAN has impacted your future?

JAN has played a very important role in the attainment of my desired ambitions. The one week spent during the ViMP program was an eye-opener for me, as I was able to understand vital concepts relating to career planning and decision making, which has really made a difference in my approach to day-to-day prospecting and planning. Within the JAN community, I have formed important relationships which have been helpful since completion of ViMP and would be invaluable as I progress towards the achievement of my career objectives in the short and long term.
I believe the networking opportunity available on that platform is unparalleled. I was able to cultivate worthwhile relationships with fellow ViMP colleagues and students of the Lagos Business School, most of which I have found very useful since completing the program in February. I would certainly recommend JAN to anyone seeking a network of people who are able to provide support and contribute intellectually tow.
 
 

 

Left to right: Mr. Daniel Ukasoanaya, Dr. Uzo Uchenna, Director of Programmes, Lagos Business School (LBS), and Mr. Steve Iwenjora, Vice President African Capital Alliance.
 
 

Comments

  1. Congrats Daniel, a great guy I met at the fun-filled and intellectually stimulating period at the Lagos Business school. Nice one. Thanks JAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi pháp uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Global Money Week/ Financial Literacy Day (FLD) 2015 Continued

2017 Junior Achievement Nigeria's Youth Entrepreneurship Essay Competition; Winning Essays.

JAN Partners with Central Bank of Nigeria on Financial Literacy of Nigeria