Speech by MISS FATIMA YAKUBU during JAN's 15th Anniversary Celebration.


A SPEECH PRESENTED BY MISS FATIMA YAKUBU THE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, THE AMAZING AMAZONS – A JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT STUDENTS’ COMPANY, GOVERNMENT GIRLS SECONDARY SCHOOL, ABAJI, ABUJA ON THE OCCASION OF THE 15TH ANNIVERSARY DINNER ON THURSDAY 22ND MAY, 2014 AT BALLROOM, LAGOS ORIENTAL HOTEL, VICTORIA ISLAND – LAGOS.
Good evening. All protocols observed.

My name is Fatima Yakubu, the president and chief executive officer of the Amazing Amazons of Government Girls’ Secondary School, Abaji, Abuja. I feel highly honored to be part of this epoch-making ceremony. I am particularly delighted to be part of the Junior Achievement Nigeria Family. I became a member of the family in December 2012 when my friend invited me to one of the programs of the Junior Achievement in my school. The program tagged “Career with a Purpose” turned out to be very interesting and resourceful. Since then it has been an amazing experience for me to be part of the family.
Essentially, Junior Achievement is a solution-driven initiative for youth because it provides answers to the many social and economic problems confronting the country now due to its large population of unemployed youth. It is gratifying to note that for the past fifteen years Junior Achievement has been fostering the thinking needed for business to flourish in the local and international markets. The leadership of Junior Achievement through the spectacular programs have consistently sensitized the youths against ignorance and indolence, and encouraged innovation, creativity, talent and entrepreneurship, which are required for the emergence of the desired economy and nation. I am a proud beneficiary of the productive entrepreneurship training of Junior Achievement Nigeria.
I have realized through the JAN programs that saving is not only meant for adults but also children, even in primary schools. This, which I learnt through the Junior Achievement financial literacy program, has enabled me save some money to the amazement of my parents. Besides, I can conveniently run my own business from capitalization to liquidation with all I have gained from running our JAN company, the Amazing Amazons. I have also discovered that hard work and effectiveness  are very instrumental to business success. The high point of my experience with Junior Achievement was when I had the opportunity to represent my company on behalf of Nigeria in Elziwini Swaziland during the African Region Company of the Year Competition in December 2013, where our company won the prestigious FedEx Access Award. It was my first international experience and it afforded me the opportunity to interact with company executives from other countries. We have since transferred our learning from Swaziland into our company operations, which resulted in the rapid expansion of our enterprise.
Basically, the impact of Junior Achievement on youth development cannot be over-emphasized. Over the years, Junior Achievement has earned a top-notch reputation for promoting local businesses and contributing to the growth and development of small and medium enterprises, engaging youngsters in the efficient marketing tools to reach out to the wide world. I therefore call on the government, corporate organizations and well-meaning individuals to give maximum support to the leadership of JAN whose avowed commitment is to help the youths and the nation to attain optimal potential. It is only through the concerted efforts of organizations like JAN that we will solve socio-economic issues in Nigeria. Everyone should please assist Junior Achievement to enable them continue in the transformation of the youth and the economy in general.
It is disheartening to observe that it is still dangerous for girls to go to school in our nation. My friends and I have had sleepless nights thinking of what our colleagues from Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State must be going through.  These girls are no different from us as we also attend a Government Girls’ Secondary School in a small community.  It could have happened to us. Attacking children and women is a heinous crime against the United Nations conventions on wars and conflict and it is time that we put an end to it.
Boko Haram is a common enemy we must all get united to fight and win for the sake of our future. I believe that the best way to stop the spread of such groups that prey on the hopelessness of their recruits is to equip our youth with the right skills and knowledge to be self-sufficient. An educated and skilled boy who knows how to run a business to help feed his family would be less likely to take up arms and follow Boko Haram and less likely to believe that his education is superior to his sister’s.  This is why the work that Junior Achievement Nigeria is doing is so important and why you all should support them.  On behalf of Nigerian girls everywhere, I declare that we refuse to be scared into slavery.  I will stand up and fight for my future and I hope you will fight for my future as well.  Happy anniversary Junior Achievement Nigeria and thank you for empowering girls like me.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global Money Week/ Financial Literacy Day (FLD) 2015 Continued

2017 Junior Achievement Nigeria's Youth Entrepreneurship Essay Competition; Winning Essays.

JAN Partners with Central Bank of Nigeria on Financial Literacy of Nigeria