VIMP 2016 Participant Miss. Damilola Banjo: The Story behind her Philanthropic Act

I began my National Youth Service (NSYC) in Cross-River Sate and the first thing I noticed at my school was that the pupils; especially the public school pupils, usually went to school without sandals, books in hand, torn uniforms and in worked in environments not conducive for learning. I had to do something about it. Bearing in mind that I might not be able to reach every child who needs a better school kit or classroom,  I still believed it was better to do little than to do nothing.
I went ahead to share my intentions with my Local Government Inspector who advised i focus on one school. Having searched through some parts of the city, I decided to adopt Army Day Primary School II. There was a heavy downpour of rain the first day I visited the school, and the pupils in the kindergarten were perched on their chairs and tables because their classroom flooded due to the leaking roof. The Head teacher's office was not exempt, as she had bowls lined up to retain the heavy downpour in her office.
I decided to renovate the school and donate uniforms. I drew out a budget that ran over Three Million Naira; sent out hundreds or proposals; contacted NGOs but nothing was forthcoming. I then began a series of appeals to the State Governor with letters and photos of the school. The school's PTA also did a follow-up letter to the Ministry of Education. I went a step further and got publications in the newspapers (Chronicles Newspaper and Vanguard Newspaper) and the government came around eventually. But by that point, I had raised enough money to renovate the kindergarten class and the head teacher's office. I had the roofing sheets changed and painted the block. The kids were so happy when they saw their classroom and it was trully the most fulfilling moment of my life.
I should have stopped at this, since my service year was almost up, and there were no funds available, but instead I resorted to emptying my savings and with the help of the generosity of friends on social media to raise the funds used to renovate the two-room block. I also signed up with a crowd-funding site which didn't raise funds, but kept my morale high.
In my last attempt, I wrote to the commander of the army brigade, Brigadier General Sanni Muhammed who sponsored the purchase of 100 sandals, and 100 uniforms for the kids. I also engaged in a de-worming exercise following the necessary medical approval from the authorities. The exercise was for the Junior Primary (Primary 1-3) and I also donated a press board for the Obubra Orientation Broadcasting Service.
Most importantly, I started gaining a good response towards the project when I took it to God in prayers. I was frustrated, I'd spent so much on letters and transporting around the city, but nothing was coming forth. NYSC was owing me over 7 months allowance and I really wanted to do something for the kids. People can be cynical; some thought I had hidden motives and was only using the kids as a bait. It was really challenging raising funds but God came to my rescue and showered grace on me and the kids. I launched out with just my passion to help and forgot to inform the mighty helper and I learnt the stressful way that God is key in all ambitions and intentions.
Damilola giving out uniforms to primary school students

Left: Dr Uche Uchenna, Director of Programmes Lagos Business School; Damilola and VP. ESG African Capital Alliance, Mrs Omawunmi Kola-Lawal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Junior Achievement Nigeria's Youth Entrepreneurship Essay Competition; Winning Essays.

JAN Partners with Central Bank of Nigeria on Financial Literacy of Nigeria

Global Money Week/ Financial Literacy Day (FLD) 2015 Continued