My Right To Learn by Robert Prouty

The importance of education in the lives of children and the impact on the society cannot be over emphasized. Education is the foundation stone on which to build a future free from poverty, providing a ripple effect of opportunity that resonates for generations. All children have the right to an education. I found this article by Robert Prouty and would like to share:

My Right To Learn by Robert Prouty

I do not have to earn
The right to learn.
It’s mine.

And if because
Of faulty laws
And errors of design,
And far too many places where
Still far too many people do not care –
If because of all these things, and more,
For me, the classroom door,
With someone who can teach,
Is still beyond my reach,
Still out of sight,
Those wrongs do not remove my right.

So here I am. I too
Am one of you
And by God’s grace,
And yours, I’ll find my place.

We haven’t met.
You do not know me yet
And so
You don’t yet know
That there is much that I can give you in return.
The future is my name
And all I claim
Is this: my right to learn.

This poem first appeared in the joint UNESCO / UNICEF report “A Human Rights-Based Approach to Education For All”.


We hope you’ll get involved in helping children learn and grow. Stay connected to us via this blog: http://janigeria.blogspot.com, follow us on twitter @JANigeria , join our group on facebook, volunteer!

Comments

  1. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's Top Social Trading Network!

    Join millions who have already discovered smarter strategies for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their trades automatically

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JAN Partners with Central Bank of Nigeria on Financial Literacy of Nigeria

Global Money Week/ Financial Literacy Day (FLD) 2015 Continued

2017 Junior Achievement Nigeria's Youth Entrepreneurship Essay Competition; Winning Essays.